Brunch-goers and hangover-havers around the globe regularly turn to the Bloody Mary to soothe their Sunday scaries.
You can’t go wrong with the tried-and-true hangover cure, but those looking for an extra oomph should consider the Bloody Maria, a tequila twist on the classic Bloody Mary recipe.
Bloody Mary vs. Bloody Maria
The most obvious difference between a Bloody Maria and a Bloody Mary is the liquor – Bloody Marias are mixed with tequila, while Bloody Marys use vodka.
Some recipes stop there, but tequila’s rich, savory profile makes it an ideal base to build a delectable drink upon. Unlike a Bloody Mary, where vodka takes a backseat to other ingredients so that you can barely taste it, the robust tequila base of Bloody Marias stands out and mixes better with non-traditional ingredients to make a complex, spicy, and even citrusy experience.
The next time you’re at brunch and want to add a little kick to your afternoon, ask for a Bloody Maria over the traditional Bloody Mary.
History of the Bloody Maria
We know the Bloody Mary has been around since about the 1930s, but the Bloody Maria’s history is a bit murkier.
In fact, no one really knows when or how the Bloody Maria came into existence, but we should all be thankful to the mystery person who one day decided to swap vodka with tequila in their favorite drink. Because of them, the Bloody Maria was born.
Bloody Maria Recipe
Demitri’s All-Natural Bloody Mary Seasoning is the perfect mix of 100% natural flavors to pair with the Bloody Maria.
- 2 oz. tequila
- Demitri’s All-Natural Bloody Mary Seasoning
- 1 tsp. horseradish
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 dashes Tapatio hot sauce
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash lime juice
- 1 pinch Demitri’s All-Natural Rim Shot salt rimmer
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Garnish of choice
- Add tequila, horseradish, Tabasco, Tapatio, Worcestershire, celery salt, black pepper, and lime juice to a glass. Stir well to combine.
- Add Demitri’s All-Natural Bloody Mary Seasoning. Stir well.
- Fill the glass with ice and stir again.
- Coat glass rim with Demitri’s All-Natural Rim Shot salt rimmer.
- Add garnish of your choice.