Warm alcoholic drinks are the perfect way for adults to warm up by the fire this winter. People often assume that cocktails should be served cold, but there is a winter wonderland’s worth of warm cocktails waiting for you to sip and savor. Whether you are skiing in the mountains or coming home from a frosty day at work, relax and unwind with a warm drink for a toasty evening.
Apple Cider Margarita
- 1.5 oz Tequila
- 4 oz hot apple cider
- 1 oz fresh orange juice
- .5 oz fresh lemon juice
- .75 oz light agave nectar
- Salt a warmed glass with Demitri’s Margarita Rimshot.
- Combine tequila, hot apple cider, orange juice, lemon juice, and agave nectar in a cocktail shaker. Shake to combine and strain into glass.
- Top with cinnamon and nutmeg for additional flavor.
Warm Bloody Mary Pitcher
- 1 liter tomato juice
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lime, finely sliced
- 150 ml vodka
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1-2 tsp Tabasco, to taste
- Combine tomato juice, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and some lime slices in a pan (or use your favorite Demitri’s Bloody Mary seasoning). Season with salt and pepper. Slowly bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let the concoction cool for about 10 minutes. Stir in vodka, celery salt, and Tabasco.
- Serve in heatproof glasses and garnish with beef jerky or a pepperoni straw.
Hot Chocolate with A Twist
- 2 oz Drambuie
- 9 oz hot milk
- 3 oz hot cocoa mix
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and warm over medium heat.
- Serve hot. Garnish with marshmallows, cinnamon sticks, or candy canes.
- 2 oz heavy cream
- .75 oz simple syrup
- 4 oz hot coffee
- 1 oz Irish whiskey
- Whisk cream and .25 oz of simple syrup in a chilled bowl until peaks form. Set aside.
- Combine coffee, Irish whiskey, and remaining simple syrup in a warm mug.
- Top with whipped cream and serve.
The Classic Hot Toddy
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1.5 ounces whiskey
- 2-3 teaspoons honey, to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 lemon round
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Combine hot water, whiskey, honey, and lemon juice in a mug. Stir until the honey disappears into the water.
- Taste. For a sweeter drink, add 1 more teaspoon of honey. For a tangier drink, add 1 more teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Garnish with lemon round and cinnamon stick. Serve!
The fun doesn’t have to stop here!
If you’re especially fond of a certain winter drink, try adding an alcohol with similar notes or flavors to concoct your own signature cocktail. If there is a beverage you feel is best in the summer, try experimenting with ways to winterize it, like heating up the ingredients in a saucepan or smoking the inside of the serving glass.