When it comes to Bloody Marys, it’s what’s on the inside that counts: That’s why you use Demitri’s, right? But what’s on the outside makes a Bloody Mary shine! Garnishing your Bloody Mary can upgrade it from simple (and delicious) to over-the-top (and also delicious). If you need a refresher on the classic Bloody Mary, check out this post. No matter which flavor of Demitri’s you’re starting with, you can impress your guests with garnishes galore. Wanna be the host with the most? We love setting up a DIY Bloody Mary bar with everything you need to make restaurant-worthy cocktails in your own kitchen.
Classic Bloody Mary garnishes
The classic Bloody Mary garnishes are tried and true for a reason: They add a lil’ somethin’ somethin’ but don’t overpower the Bloody Mary goodness you know and love. Here are some of our favorites to dip your toe into (just kidding—use a spoon).
- Lemon or lime wedge: Citrus adds tartness, tanginess, and balance to the tomato juice. We always use lemon or lime to moisten the rim of our glasses before adding Demitri’s salt rimmer.
- Celery stick: It doesn’t get more classic than a celery stick in a Bloody Mary. Add it for the crunch—and to legitimately say you’ve had your fruits *and* veggies.
- Olives: The brine of olives is perfection on Bloodys! Pro tip: Check out the deli or salad bar section of your local grocery store. They usually have an array of olives to feast your eyes and stomach on.
- Pickle: Are you the person who’s always stealing everyone’s pickles at dinner? Same. The saltiness of pickles complements the heat of your Bloody Mary mix.
- Pepperoni sticks: You don’t really need a reason to use pepperoni sticks, How about a Pepperoni Straw? Demitri’s Pepperoni Straws add extra spice and a tasty snack (plus they’re just fun to drink out of.)
Ready to level up? Excellent. The world is your oyster when it comes to unique Bloody Mary garnishes. Have leftovers you want to repurpose? Go for it. Want to add donuts just ‘cause you can? Bring it on. The more absurd, showy, and outrageous your garnishes are, the better. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Bacon: Brunch without Bloody Marys is just breakfast, and Bloody Marys without bacon are just sad.
- Shrimp: Don’t skimp on the shrimp, all right? Demitri’s mixes do double duty as a marinade—give chipotle habanero a spin!
- Beef jerky: Not just for camping trips, beef jerky amps up the texture and flavor.
- Pickled beans: Bring on allll the pickled veg with Blaze’s products.
- Jalapeños & Jalapeno Poppers: Dial up the heat a few notches by combining Demitri’s chilies & peppers mix with jalapeños on top.
- Sliders: Burgers and ketchup, say hello to sliders and Bloody Marys. They’re mini. They’re delightful. They belong on your cocktail.
- Cheese curds: If you’ve never tried cheese curds, what are you waiting for (eh)? Cheese curds are small bits of curdled milk famously consumed at state fairs and as part of poutine. Put it on your Bloody Mary; you’ll thank us later.
How to serve your Bloody Mary
Now that we’ve covered what’s on your Bloody Mary, let’s discuss what it’s being presented in.
- Choosing the right glass: Fun drinkware makes your drink better, scientifically speaking. Stay classic with a highball glass, or go for farmhouse flair with a Mason jar.
- Skewering: Who says skewers are just for s’mores? Not us. But also—s’mores on a Bloody Mary sounds like a great idea. Layer meat, cheese, and olives for an artistic garnish.
- Arranging garnishes: The cocktail is your canvas. Play around with how you present your masterpiece. Need some inspo? Check out our Instagram feed.
- The finishing touches: We cannot emphasize enough how much rim salt adds to a Bloody Mary or any homemade cocktail. Demitri’s original, bacon, and margarita varieties are the extra oomph your drink deserves.
Now that you know how to make a homemade drink into something restaurant-worthy, we can’t wait to see what you come up with! Tag us in your creations on social media so we know who to hit up for that next brunch invite.